Phish Review from the 8/11/2015 Mann Center show in Philadelphia, PA

What a day it was yesterday leading up to the shows. I was moving along greatly when I get this message from the promoter asking me if I wanted a ticket for each night. I had a seat in Orchestra B last night and I therefore figured any ticket request filled them and by the band would get me down into Orchestra A. I made a trade for a Pavilion seat for one of the Merriweather Post Pavilion shows and that then left me with an extra ticket for the show last night. Have you ever heard of or known about that term in professional football games when a team takes a penalty while it happened during a field goal attempt that was good for the three points? That's what I did last night. I got to the lot to make my trade with someone I met off the 'cash or trade' site which went perfect but also, he had a friend left at bay so to speak for three hours or actually, four hours because even though I was asked about whether I wanted a ticket for each show at 210PM yesterday, I did not get confirmation from the band's production or from whomever handles the ticket requests from Red Light (Management) until 6PM. Therefore, his phriend had no time to deal with getting himself down from New York City in time for the show last night. Which worked out fine because a person had Facebook freinded me that I guess I had known since I went to Hebrew School when I was a kid. He needed a ticket badly and he goes  to a lot of shows. I offered him the extra ticket. After doing the trade with the person off cash or trade, I trudged over to Will Call to meet this other dude that I had met again via Facebook. I gave him the Orchestra B seat that I had in the center section thinking my tickets at will call would be down low in Section A. 
After getting into the show to get to my new seat issued by the band that I had just picked up at will call, I realized that I could just ask the other guy that I sold the ticket to trade it back to me for this one. That way I was at least in the center section back in Section B. However, I remembered that the person I traded with via cash or Trade was evidently not going to his seat. That then opened up the two seats on the aisle in Section B row M in the center section. 

But then get this brilliant move made by me because I did another posting that I committed to doing for that trade for the Sunday Merriweather show. I did that trade only to realize mid way through the second set that I gave up my Orchestra A seat in the pavilion for tonight's show. In defense is that the trade was based on it being an Orchestra A seat so in reality, I did not have any choice in the matter. 

Overall though, everyone I met from the cash or trade site were extremely great people. I am so glad I did get to meet them but I did take 'points off the board' if you will, by trading downward in a half an hour or so span of time. I may not work greatly under pressures in those fast and furious environments and speaking of which, it was chaos at its best in the parking lot at the Mann. There was no 'Shakedown' area but man oh man (no pun meant) was that lot scene crazy. Getting in was a bit of a cluster you know what but eventually, we were inside the venue. I then tried to get down into pitt but I was denied, caught and told to go to my correct seat. That was embarrassing but I shook the nice guards hand thanking him (for basically not throwing me out of the venue) for letting me go about my business. 

Finally, the lights go down. Considering the scene at the Mann so far and considering what I described above here, they opened with the most perfect song being 'Crowd Control." I assume they saw what the hell was going on in that lot scene because ironically, there was no crowd control whatsoever on those grounds. Neither was there any in the seating area. We had people in the aisles next to us and every which where there were spots to hang and dance were filled up by people. 

Next song and what I had thought at that time was short version of Monster Martian started up as the synthesizer rang out saying "the countdown is progressing and your space ship is about to blast off on its voyage of discovery". Then came 'Axilla' which was fine before they did the Little feat song, 'Skin It Back'. Honestly, I had no clue they even played that song even though I may have heard it before which actually, I should say that I did not remember it being played by them. I have since read that the had done 13 or so times in their lives. I must have heard it before. Remember too, that is NOT a song not on the Waiting For Columbus album that was covered by the band in Atlantic City at that Halloween show in 2010 (I think it was 2010). During the song came more synth lick(s) using the “because of the incredible speed of your rocket, your trip is short” key on Paige's board which was pressed many times throughout the song. And, most notably it was done at the end of the song. They also went back into 'Skin It Back' after the Martin Monster reprise as I am now calling it. They then played 'Vultures' for the first time on this tour which was done very well and Trey started to soar a bit on guitar during that solo in it. 

I wanted to go get a beer but then 'Dog Faced Boy' came on and I did not want to leave during it. That is pretty much always done perfectly live and this version was no different. It was perfect to hear at that time before the crowd hears (Jon) Fishman's ticking of his drum sticks or maybe its his symbols that eventually begin 'David Bowie'. A few people in my area thought it was Maze which for a millisecond it could have been. I was psyched to hear Bowie last night. They rocked that out and they jammed it out too with it also having that great overall groove. I loved the groove and the crescendo it took us through too. They played it very well and then 'Farmhouse' started up. I had just seen it as an encore in Atlanta and not that its an excuse at all, I decided to get my drinks during it while I also grabbed a pretzel for my friend. 

On my way back from getting drinks and food, this one idiot in the aisle would not move when I said excuse me three times. He of course then backs up into me and a bit of my drink spilled on him which I was happy about because this tool literally said something along the lines of "hey dude" for spilling something on him. Now mind you please that this person has no seat. He is in the aisle and he does not pay attention to his surroundings let alone listening to me as I asked to let me move by him three times. Yet, he still blames me for the spill. I want to repeat that some dude in the aisle and not in a seat was upset for getting something spilled on him. My point is that he should go to his seats because aisles are there for people to walk through but this self absorbed moron does not think that far and wide. Regardless, I was glad that water or beer spilled onto his legs even though I lost a sip for me to intake. I also did say to him to shut the F up explaining that I said "excuse me" to him "many times". I think that I scared him but still, nothing like having to overstate the obvious to a clueless person that is all about his own self. 

I got back in the middle of 'Scent of a Mule'. I was able to catch the sweet jam in the middle of it and I was able to hear Paige's exceptional piano work during it. I actually forgot what song we were at some point in it. After 'Scent of A Mule' came the beginning of 'Ghost'. Fishman was doing ghostly sounds verbally to start off the song and for some reason, I laughed out loud because of it. I am not sure why. Paige then started doing those "your space ship is about to take off" and that "your trip is short" Monster Martin licks again throughout 'Ghost'. The jam during 'Ghost' was sick. That was my favorite jam so far in the first set. I loved the groove. (Mike) Gordon was on fire a bit too during 'Ghost'. 

And, before the set could end, the band set up to do acapella with the song 'Grind'. I remember thinking that I must have have been alive now for about 18,000 or so days. I am pretty sure I am like 2 or 3 years younger than Trey and he is in the 18,500 range I think he said. Paige is in the 17,000 plus range but again, this all off the top of my head if I am wrong. I have also since found out that it was the first time that they ever ended a first set with the song 'Grind'. I found that stat to be very interesting when I read about it today. 

The first set was pretty good and the sound was pretty perfect where I was at in the center of the venue near the soundboard. I remember thinking that there is not much sound being missed compared to being in the pit but then again, I did miss that first hand interaction with the band members and myself because I was not in the pit area.

During the set break, I went for a walk to change my shirt into my Deer Creek, Indiana 2009 T and it felt great to have a clean and dry shirt on my body. The humidity level was through the roof. I was sweating like mad well before the show even begun. 

When I got back to my seat, I met a great girl that for some reason asked me to explain to this guy next to her why not to kill insects and moreover, why not to kill spiders if they wander into ones house. I explained that it does take a bit of effort for us humans to use a cup and a piece of paper to trap it or what I do some times is let it crawl on to an envelope or onto a piece of paper before placing it outside so it can live more of it's life. I liked that girl a lot and I found her to be very attractive but I assumed she was with this guy. On my way home during my drive, I realized they were not together. And, in typical me fashion, I left without saying goodbye to her thinking my mystique would be in her mind. She also said that she was not going to tonight's show, but that she would be in Maryland this weekend and then again in Watkins Glen at the Magna Ball. She did exclaim that she should be at tonight's show but could not because of her work. I did not ask her what type of work she does, but I did say to not blow it off considering that Magna Ball will be fair game meaning that she will be able to hear every song imaginable then and throughout that weekend. The kicker is that she danced next to me and in front of me the entire second set. It was beautiful and I still blew it. I also assume(d) she was/is half my age which is always fun to explain to women that I may have a chance to get to know more and with that said today, it sucks being a single man that runs ts own small business (i.e.: all money spent should be on the business and not dating women) in this area or anywhere quite frankly. 

Another cool thing that came my way during the set break was when I was approached by Steve Brandano from the Howard Stern Show. That was cool. He was asking about people near me that had been hooting and hollering the 'baba booey' catch phrase term to him before the start of the show. It was a great meeting. I told him that I had a link to the show but I refused to tell him why and how and I also told him that if I saw the people that were yelling towards him pre show, that I would tell them that he came over asking for them / about them. I did see those guys and even though at first they did not believe me when I said that Brandano asked about them, I told them to at least wave thanks and/or to go to say hi which they did. And by them going over to him to say hello, that opened the space for the girl to dance to next me so inadvertently that worked out perfectly for me.  

I went off about the girl but it was time for the set to start up. The lights go down again at the venue. The band opens up the second set with 'Fuego'. That was done insanely with sick jams that they just rocked out. They basically picked up right where they left off during the first set. High end music that swiftly moved into another rocker with 'Rock n Roll'. He (Trey) even said something about Philadelphia maybe instead of the New York line in the lyrics to the Velvet Underground song that the band first played at another Halloween show done way back in the 90's. The band plays that song better than anyone has ever done it and this night they jammed it out again. '46 Days' came next after 'Rock n Roll.' That was done at a high level and with great heft before it moved right into 'Taste' from it. That was done extremely well last night. 

After 'Taste' came '2001'. I have to admit that at first, I thought it was 'Split Open and Melt.' I am not even sure why but I guess I heard the lick or tease or maybe not. I could have just been spaced but '2001' had its usual great groove. I also think it was done for more than say 6 minutes like they do at some shows. There were a couple great grooves with great changes during it before they went right into 'Sand'. That of course is one of my favorite songs they play these days. They seem to jam it out like no tomorrow with last nights version doing much of the same. Trey jammed on it big time. They did stop for maybe a split second before starting to play and sing 'The Horse' which went into 'Silent In The Morning.' That "I think that this exact thing happened to me, just last year" line is always a crowd pleaser at any venue they play and in any city they play because who knows, maybe its a pre curser that they will be playing at the Mann again next year. The last time they played here BTW, was two years ago. 

The band then moved directly from 'Silent In The Morning' into 'Cavern.' That was upbeat as always and done great before they then moved from that song into 'Backwards Down The Number Line'. Which to me meant one more song because they could have easily had ended that set after 'Cavern'. Backwards was amazing. The high end jam in it was exceptional. They jammed it out as normal and that did bring an end to the great second set. 

The encore was 'Julius' which for some reason, they do it every time they play the Philly metropolitan area which I don't mind but I also wonder why. I love the song. It was also done well as it ended, but the sad part was that it meant the show was ending. 

'Julius' ended the show and I bolted again, without saying "good bye" to the girl that danced near me the entire 2nd set. Doh. I then got way lost in the lot for a good ten minutes. I could not find my car. I was all switched around as I somehow ended up back near the box office. That proved to be good because I then just paid attention to following the paved road to the statues at the circle before walking myself down the correct street to grab my vehicle for my short ride home. 

All in all, it was a phun night with some great music. They played very well. I have no complaints besides my dumb assed moves that I made throughout it. 

Here is the set list here and I also copied and pasted th stats from "The Skinny" web site and by writer that does it:


Aug. 11th 2015 - The Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA

SET ONE

Crowd Control
Martian Monster
Axilla I
Skin it Back
Martian Monster
Vultures
Dog Faced Boy
David Bowie
Farmhouse
Scent of a Mule
Ghost
Grind

SET TWO

Fuego
Rock & Roll
46 Days
Taste
2001
Sand
The Horse
Silent In The Morning
Cavern
Backwards Down the Number Line

ENCORE

Julius
  • Venue Type: Outdoor Amphitheater / 14,000
  • Previous Shows at Venue: 7 Shows - 07/18/1992, 07/16/1993, 07/01/1994, 06/25/1995, 06/26/1995, 07/08/2014 and 07/09/2014
  • Number Of Songs / Length – First Set: 11 / 8:05 p.m. ET - 9:22 p.m. ET (77 Minutes)
  • Number Of Songs / Length – Second Set & Encore: 10 / 9:55 p.m. ET - 11:21 p.m. (86 Minutes)
  • Total Number of Songs / Covers / Originals: 21 / 2 / 19
  • Biggest Bustout: Skin It Back - 111 Shows (LTP 08/22/2012)
  • Average Song Vintage: 1997
  • Debuts: N/A
  • Tour Debuts: Crowd Control, Skin It Back, Dog Faced Boy, Vultures, Scent Of A Mule, Grind, Taste, The Horse
  • Weather: 78°F Mostly Cloudy at Showtime
  • Guitar Used By Trey Anastasio: KOA #3, aka Ocedoc
  • Average Song Gap19.58
  • The Spread: Hoist - 3, Rift - 2, Farmhouse - 2, Undermind - 2, The Story Of The Ghost, 1, Round Room - 1, Junta - 1, Joy - 1, Fuego - 1, Billy Breathes - 1, A Picture of Nectar - 1, Misc. - 5
  • Longest LivePhish Track / Shortest LivePhish Track: Fuego 17:00 / The Horse - 0:46
  • AudioLive Phish